I wanted to bring some of the key reports and better commentary together under one link. The following represents a start:
1. US Senate Armed Services Committee Report - "INQUIRY INTO THE ROLE AND OVERSIGHT OF PRIVATE SECURITY CONTRACTORS IN AFGHANISTAN" Sept 2010
2. CRS Department of Defense Contractors in Afghanistan and Iraq: Background and Analysis, 2011
3. Aram Roston, How the US Funds the Taliban, The Nation, November 11, 2009
4. Karen DeYoung, Senate report: Mismanaged U.S. contractor money aids enemy inAfghanistan Washington Post, Friday, October 8, 2010
5. James Risen, Afghans Linked to the Taliban Guard U.S. Bases, NYT, October 7, 2010
Friend of the blog, Frances Arias, sent a link to a paper on contractor casualties - which opens up the strategic discussion above to the wider 'costs of war' issue - something also dear to the blog's heart but that has not got blog space as yet. But good for the 'to do' list - thanks.